Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Ten On Tuesdays Challenge

Challenged by a fellow blogger... I'm taking my first crack at Ten on Tuesdays...  So, I'm going to post about the holiday season.

1.  I love when it snows at Christmas.  It's snowing tonight, so just a couple days early.  I love when everything is clean and fresh under a new blanket of snow.

2.  Christmas is ENTIRELY too commercial.  Who needs slippers with headlights (yes, saw the flyer for them!), or the no battery flashlight you shake - never mind, who wants them??  They will end up in a Good Will box, in the return aisle at the store, or in a long forgotten corner of the basement or attic.

3.  I wish we had a real Christmas tree.  But seriously can't make my way to the bush to find one.  Need a team of elves to help with that one.  Can't see the hubby liking that one much either... he usually doesn't want to help with the artificial tree... but this year he did!

4.  I hope that my family and friends enjoy the gifts I'm giving this year.  I'm always worried about disappointing someone, or not giving enough, or "keeping up with the Jones'".  Not this year.  Limits were set and I stuck to them.  I even stopped myself when I said, hey, I should buy that for so-and-so... Nope.  Didn't.  Yeah me!

5.  (You're right Marla, this is difficult!)  My favourite holiday movie is White Christmas.  Yes, I know it came out in 1954, but I could care less.  I love Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.  I've read somewhere that Vera Lynn's waist was like 18" in that movie... and yes, sadly, she had an eating disorder.  But I could care less about their real lives... I love the music, the movie, the costumes.  My favourite song is "Snow" as they ride the train to Vermont.

6.  I used to dread Christmas morning... Dysfunctional family issues.  I'm so much happier about Christmas than I ever was as a child / teen / young adult.  And that makes me happy.

7.  We don't have any specific Christmas traditions.  We don't attend church.  We don't open a gift on Christmas Eve (anymore, did as kids). 

8.  We love food at Christmas, just like everyone else.  I love our Finnish and German foods that are always on the table or dessert tray.  It wouldn't be Christmas without them.  So I guess I was wrong in #7, we do have tradition, traditional food!

9.  This Christmas I didn't ask for much.  I don't need much.  And I don't want much.  I need a new tank for my aquarium.  A few stocking stuffers.  Neither of my favourite authors have a new book out, so that was easy.  Yep.  Pretty basic this year.  Besides.  I don't need anything really.  I have a roof over my head.  I have food on my table.  I have a job.  I have a dear husband and wonderful family.  I have enough.

10.  Last Christmas morning I was on my own for the first time ever.  My hubby had to work.  I did laundry, cleaned the bathroom and vacuumed.  Yep, huge celebration at our house :P

There, made it through my first Ten on Tuesdays!

1 comment:

  1. #9. You are so right! I, too, have enough, and am disgusted with myself for complaining about things I didn't have when I was "younger." These days, I couldn't ask for more!

    Wonderful 10! Now, start planning next week's! ;p

    ReplyDelete