Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

8 Weeks

Eight weeks post-op was yesterday.  And I've felt pretty good for the past few days.  My hubby even noticed I have some more energy and I'm not lying down to rest as much.  And the temperatures dropped from the 30s (90s F) to the 20s (70s).  THANK HEAVENS!! It makes me feel a lot better without the high humidity.  I even baked!! Monday I made a lemon meringue pie, Tuesday I made chocolate - chocolate chip cookies, and today... hopefully I'll have the energy to make yo-yo's.

Instead of walking my now 1.7 to 2 miles, I decided to go to the pool for the first time since before Christmas.  I swam 4 lengths and realized how badly out of shape I am!! I was huffing and puffing... I used to swim, lots.  I was trained to be a lifeguard and swimming instructor in my teens.  I used to be able to swim 100 lengths of a 25m pool at a time.  Right now though I can only swim breast stroke and a gimpy freestyle, forget backstroke.  First, my shoulder doesn't like it at all, and second, my neck HURT! (Note to self, new goggles might help too!) So, rather than kill myself trying to actually swim, I did some aquabics for twenty minutes or so, then swam 2 more lengths and did some cool down stretches.    I was in the pool for about 25 minutes.  And now, I'm fairly tired.  I don't think I overdid it, but it definitely takes more energy than just my walk.  One good thing is my shoulder isn't killing me like it does after my walk.  So, those cookies may just get made soon!

We will be formally saying good-bye to my grandma on Saturday at a private family interment.  Grandma loved baking and cooking.  I remember many, many visits to her house baking cookies or bread.  So for the luncheon after interment I am also bringing cookies, some of her favourites were yo-yo's, hermits, chocolate chip and peanut butter.   I want to bring a little something - a comfort food I guess.  I miss my grandma, lots.  

No comments:

Post a Comment